- Sailing the Viking Seas (June 8)
Craftsmen made the ship, but the ship made the crew.
- Kaupang before the Coin (May 11)
Unpacking the meaning of Kaupang’s many monochrome beads.
- Gotland during the Viking Age (April 19)
Silver made Gotland a Viking-Age hub of trade. What can glass add to this story?
- Making Love in an Iron Age (April 8)
Finding Iron-Age love in a broken piece of glass.
- Forging a New Elite for Viking-Age Funen (March 31)
What’s in a grave? Textiles, beads, and a society in transition.
- The Limfjord in the Viking Age: Centralization and Catastrophe (March 20)
The rise and fall of the Viking Age, as seen from northern Denmark.
- Consuming Beads: A Tentative Chronology of the Viking Age (February 12)
What the different ways people used beads tells us about the Viking Age.
- The Hedeby Harbor Purse (January 18)
Making sense of lost change in a Viking Age trading town.
- Treasures of the Lille Karleby Hoard (January 7)
A new hoard shows how viking raids transformed Scandinavia.
- Central Places in the Viking Age (December 12)
What became of old Central Places in the new Viking World?
- The Craftsman’s Purse (November 30)
How did craftspeople measure wealth in a town without money?
- Colors of the Viking Age (November 19)
Bead data suggests that vikings didn’t see colors like us.
- Counting Beads from Viking Age Bornholm (November 5)
Some ins and outs about cataloguing beads from Bækkegård.
- Using X-rays to Study Early American Glass (October 4)
What can X-ray florescence tell us about early Bostonians?
- The Slave Queens of Merovingian France (September 21)
Did Queen Fredegund stoke controversy to suppress her slave past?
- Raising the Viking Dead from Bornholm’s Graves (September 14)
Archaeologists recover new traces of the Viking past.
- The Frankenstein Bead of Bornholm (September 8)
A curious find reveals the mastery of the Baltic’s earliest glassworkers.
- Taking Better Museum Photos (September 5)
A how-to guide based on lessons learned at museums in Denmark.
- Visiting the Archives (August 31)
A historian enters the archaeologist’s world with a stop in Lund, Sweden.
- First Steps (August 28)
Putting my right foot forward with a visit to Denmark’s National Museum.
- Welcome: An Inaugural Post (August 22)
A brief introduction to this site.